The Recipe

A heartfelt request- hang on there. My next magnum-opus, if I may, is coming up soon. All I can say about it till now- its titled Riya.

Till then, presenting-


The Recipe




“Take 1 cup cup curd, 2 tablespoonfuls of garlic chilli paste, salt, red chilli powder, 1 cup onion, 1 cup tomato, 2 tablespoonful oil, ½ teaspoonfuls of chat masala and garam masala each and black pepper to taste, besides, of course, 1 kg chicken cut into pieces,” the chef on the TV said as the show host observed with superficial admiration.

1 cup onion, curd and tomato, 2 tsp garlic-chilli paste, oil, salt, chilli powder, pepper and ½ tsp(small) chat and garam masala. Add chopped special ingredient, he noted down and went on humming to himself. He always liked calling it a ‘special ingredient’.

It was his favorite recipe.

He went on watching it till the chef readied the steaming dish in sparkling cutlery. The host breathed in the aroma, tasted a spoonful and radiated the happiness at the palatable wonder.

That was enough for today.

He took out a knife from his knife holder. The sharp edge glittered in the yellow fluorescent light.

The victim was ready- tied and gagged. She was another pick from his frequent foreign travels. They always were, forever ready to be clinging to the shoulder of a richie-rich. Foolish, unsuspecting, smugly and wistfully thinking they were conning him with their feminine charm and scrumptious lust.

Her eyes widened with terror, she thrashed about against the knots as he neared and slit her throat with his favorite knife.

The flesh of the thigh was the best. He cut himself a large chunk and went on humming to himself. His ‘special ingredient’ was almost ready to be added, just a few chops away.

Once more he can savor the ‘Chick curry’.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

12 comments:

LITTLE ON THE EDGE said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....ugh.....hehe..nice!

Samadrita said...

Uh cannibalism..I might have actually included a word like 'ugh' or 'shudder' or 'horrifyingly gross' in the comment but your story is not a patch on the stuff I've read on this blog.

Do go through it's contents when you have time.
He excels at making his readers puke. >_<
But writes well nonetheless.
I don't like stories of this genre of course but I like your style as always :)

Meenakshi said...

hmm.. nice way of presenting.

Unknown said...

Nice work. Though actually, the picture you chose has everything to do with the excellence of the story. Subconsciously the reader thinks of how to related the bleeding hand to the story - and with the careful placement of your words...It was good. No puking. No comments on the rest of the material here...will go through it from now onwards :)

heavealie said...

it was dark but predictable but i think you never tried to write it as a mystery which unfolds later.i like these kind of pieces where those corners of human minds are exposed.i think most of the humans in their life span atleast think half a dozen times to kill someone excruciatingly painfully.this was well written but in my opinion could have made for a very good novella.and in the end all i can say is that right amount of salt was added to your recipe and would love to have this recipe someday haha!!!humans are evil!!at least i am.keep writing!!

Omkar Khandekar said...

@Li'l on the edge: Firstly, what a name! Nice! And I am pleased you found it eewsome. Readers like you make my life worth it ;)

Meenakshi: Thank you. Appreciate it :)

Samadrita: I read the post you were talking about. You are right, it was much better. But then, I feel considering the length, this one was pretty good. The style here again involves subtlety while the other blog is more in-your-face. Thank you for introducing me to that blog. Phew, good bloggers are not dead after all :D

Omkar Khandekar said...

@Rishabh: Whoa! You commented! Another 'well up' time! And a whoopie to your promise to read the rest of my works :)

@Heave: Yo! Yeah, I know all about your evil side man! And you are right- I never tried to put any mystery. As far as a novella is concerned, I didn't feel like writing that. As I told Sammy, the style was just subtle darkness. Nothing in your face- that style is reserved for Riya :)

Samadrita said...

Oye my words got misconstrued. :(
What I meant was he has written more terrifying stuff..obviously your style and way of narration are excellent.But I guess the effect wasn't as lasting.
This guy Pawan is a monster I tell you..the blogger I linked you to.
Read his 'Men Who Hate Women'. *shudder*
Yes good bloggers do exist....I'll link you to a few of them sometime ^^

Omkar Khandekar said...

@Samadrita: Arre I will still say what he has written is better, at least from the evil-ness point of view. I read 'Men who hate women' too. And yes, I even went to the link he gave with a hammering heart! Thankfully it was totally opposite to what it seemed. Go check it out.
Thanks for the lovely compliments bdw :)

Anonymous said...

Good one... Dark and unpredictable... awaiting Riya eagerly!!!

pawan said...

Gosh!
I've followed the link to your blog today, nearly three weeks after I discovered u upon mine. This post, is the first one I've read on ur blog and I'm not quite familiar with your style, but here's what i've got to say!

Good storyline and as u said, thelength is minimal but the shock factor is a miss. But what would make this post a better one, is the translation of the Ingredients mentioned in Hindi to English. That would bring the reader to more coveted space, your thoughts :)

A nice attempt though !

Btw, Samadrita and you make me blush!
I take the above comments as a compli!

Cheers mate :)

Omkar Khandekar said...

@Pawan: Glad to have you as one of my readers. I have a clarification though- what I'e written here is my debut attempt at horror. After reading this, Sammy gave me the link to your blog and reading it I realized I had a LOT to improve.
Anyway, my usual style is dark fiction(check out The Watchmaker- no chance you won't love it) though I have some light stuff too. If you want to get a peak into my real writing style, you should check out my earlier works which are pretty long but those do justice to my style.
Looking forward to you opining on it. Thanks for the comment :)

Post a Comment